OUR HISTORY

Originally formed in 1886 as the Vancouver Boating Club, the first clubhouse was built a year later. In 1890 one of the city's early athletic rivalries began when the Burrard Inlet Rowing Club built its headquarters just west of the Boating Club.

Coal Harbour became the scene of many colourful rowing regattas. On April 1, 1899, the two rival clubs amalgamated to form the Vancouver Rowing Club.

The present heritage building in Stanley Park was officially opened September 9, 1911.

The founding sport of the Vancouver Rowing Club continues its tradition of athletic excellence. VRC celebrates an impressive international record, placing athletes on Canada's Olympic, Pan American and Commonwealth Games Teams.

Popular "Learn to Row" classes on Coal Harbour play an important role in the development of rowing in Vancouver.

Past Olympians

Paris, 1924 - Coxless Four ( Silver )
Los Angeles, 1932 - Double Sculls ( Bronze )
Melbourne, 1956 - Coxless Four ( Gold ) - Eight ( Silver )
Rome , 1960 - Eight ( Silver )
Tokyo, 1964 - Coxless Pair ( Gold )

VRC rowing at Henley in 1955

British travelogue featuring the club at 1 min 35 second mark

VRC Historical Gallery